Friday, November 18, 2011

Who Inspects the Inspectors?

Something most New Yorkers have to go through is getting their car inspected. Since my first car, I always had this fear that mine wouldn't pass inspection and I would have to spend hundreds of dollars repairing something that I wasn't even sure needed to be fixed. It wasn't so much the fear that I would have to spend a lot of money but the thought that someone could possibly take advantage of me. I'm not completely clueless about cars, so that fear has subsided a little over the years, but there's always the lingering feeling that it would still not pass.

What has also helped was that I had cars that were better than the last. I'm not talking about expensive cars. I currently drive a Mazda Protege (not the hatchback) and it's probably the "nicest" car I've owned. It's completely reliable and great on gas, but I wish I had power windows. Still, the second car I ever owned was a Ford Explorer, which I purchased after being involved in a crash. I was scared of small cars because the one that was totaled in the accident was a small two door sports car. So, to get over my fear of tiny cars, I thought I'd buy the biggest car I could afford with the money the insurance company gave me. Boy did I make a huge mistake with buying that Ford.

The very first inspection I had done on the Ford cost me over a grand in repairs. I was only 19 at the time and my dad slapped the back of my head so hard that I'm sure my 39 year old self felt it, and I'm not looking forward to experiencing that pain again. This is definitely where my anxiety of car inspections stems from. 

Hopefully I'll be a successful writer one day and I won't have to deal with that. I'll be able to purchase a car that I know will pass its inspections. On top of that, the cars had better be new, and if they're not, they damn well better be gorgeously restored sports cars. I'd like to think no one in their right mind would fail a '69 Mustang Fastback. Now that's a Ford I wouldn't mind owning.


No comments:

Post a Comment